Wednesday, October 24, 2007

A tightwad gets a little culture


Who says that being a tightwad means you can't be cultured? Here in Grand Rapids that is not the case! I recently visited the new Grand Rapids Art Museum on the Monroe Mall thanks to Sally England from the store Space Craft. She told me that they open their doors to the public for FREE every Tuesday from 1-5pm. So I decided to check it out. It is an amazing building and is the first of its kind in the world. By that I mean that it is the first art museum building to be LEED certified. Big term meaning it's environmentally friendly.

If you get a chance some day I highly recommend that you check it out. The only thing I had to pay for was parking on the street. I paid $1 for 40 minutes. I would recommend staying longer if you can.

Here's some art pieces that really caught my attention that you might want to look for:

Ten Cupolas by Jan Dibbets

Ark by Thomas Raat

Diversion by Berend Strik

...And you especially don't want to miss the 4 salvaged boxes exhibit.

What a great experience for just $1!

1 comment:

Jen@BigBinder said...

LOVE the blog!! I am happy to know about the museum - I thought when the moved to the new building they dropped the free Tuesday afternoons. Good to know!

Jen@Big Binder
http://bigbinder.wordpress.com/